The Odeo Flare is the new alternative to the traditional red pyrotechnic hand-held distress flare. It is similar in size to traditional flares, but instead of using dangerous explosives to burn, it uses battery powered light emitting diodes. Traditional flares will burn for around 30 seconds before extinguishing: the Odeo Flare ‘burns’ for around 5 hours at full illumination. Because no pyrotechnics are used, the Odeo Flare is totally safe when switched off, and because it uses battery power (high power lithium iron-disulphide cells), it can even be safely posted or carried in baggage on flights. Whilst originally designed for marine use, its lightweight, safe performance means that it is incredibly useful for any outdoor activity. Mountaineering, skiing, expeditions… now any activity can benefit from the added safety and security of carrying a distress flare – without the unwanted dangers. The Odeo Flare is designed with consideration to SOLAS requirements, making it a genuine alternative to the pyrotechnic red hand held flare. The US Coast Guard is now leading the world in developing standards for electronic Visual Distress Signals (eVDS) as a replacement for the hand held pyrotechnic flare.
- Safe LED Technology; No pyrotechnics or flames
- Visible from all directions simultaneously
- Projects over the the full hemisphere
- Multiple LEDs; More power; visibility and redundancy
- Over 5 hours of continuous use from one set of batteries
- Indefinite shelf life with battery changes 14 year shelf life with supplied batteries
- Search And Rescue aircraft safe
- Five thousand hours mean time between failure
- 1 Odeo Flare = 600 hand held flares
- Safe to carry in your back-pack
- Electronic circuitry designed for optimum visibility
- Made from Salt-Water resistant materials.